The concept of public ownership of the Los Angeles Dodgers was backed today by the city council with an 8-2 vote.
Approval of the resolution is the latest footnote to the baseball team’s summer saga. The Los Angeles Times reported earlier this week that team owner Frank McCourt managed to make today’s payroll, but needs another $30 million by June 30. For that to happen, McCourt’s television deal with FOX must be approved. Without those funds, The Times reports that baseball commissioner Bud Selig could force a sale of the Dodgers.
Developer Stanley Stalford is the man behind OwnTheDodgers.com.
“I think the number one problem facing the Dodgers today is fan apathy,” Stalford said. “There’s 10,000 people (fewer) in the stadium each night. The best solution to the worst problem is fan ownership.”
Councilmen Ed Reyes and Bernard Parks were the dissenting votes, with Councilmen Tony Cardenas, Tom LaBonge, Herb Wesson, Dennis Zine and Eric Garcetti absent.
Reyes, whose district includes Dodger Stadium, told his colleagues the resolution was premature.
“It just seems rather ghoulish that we don’t allow the process to finish. We know they made payroll today. We know major league baseball should be making a decision soon,” Reyes said.