Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven’s Morning Coffee — a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven’s Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Monday, March 19, 2012, and here is what’s happening in Los Angeles:
- In Rick Orlov‘s Tipoff column, state Republicans hope the June primary will generate renewed interest in the party and Controller Wendy Greuel is conducting a survey on Angelenos’ satisfaction with city services.
- Prosecutor and candidate for district attorney Alan Jackson is suing to stop City Attorney Carmen Trutanich from calling himself the “Los Angeles Chief Prosecutor” on the June ballot in the D.A.’s race, reports the LA Weekly. A spokesman for Trutanich told The Weekly, “Jackson is spending money like Kim Kardashian’s wedding planner.”
- The Los Angeles Times takes a look at human toll of the Los Angeles Fire Department‘s dispatch problems. “The instability of the dispatch system, which officials blame on aging equipment and a move to a new building late last month, has prompted Villaraigosa to order a full review of the operation,” according to the newspaper.
9:30 a.m. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will attend the Alondra Boulevard Bridge groundbreaking in Santa Fe Springs.
Noon Los Angeles City Councilwoman Jan Perry and county Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas will kick-off of USC Education Month. Tommy Trojan on USC campus.
6 p.m. Mayor Villaraigosa will speak at the opening ceremony for USC Education Month. Bovard Auditorium at USC.
1 p.m. Board of Neighborhood Commissioners, City Hall, room 1070
- Update from the clerk on the Neighborhood Council Election Alternatives Study
- Report on possibility of 2012 elections
1:30 p.m. Board of Airport Commissioners, LAX Administration Building, room 107
- Recommendation to approve a $1.5 million contract for runway rehabilitation at Van Nuys Airport
- Recommendation to appropriate $25 million for Bradley West project
- Recommendation to purchase nine pick-up trucks for LAX
- Request to issue $280 million in MICLA lease revenue bonds
- Report by the CAO and CLA on the 2012-13 budget
Mayoral candidate Austin Beutner will speak to the Studio City Neighborhood Council on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the CBS Studio Center.
The Los Angeles Press Club will host a talk with members of the KCET SoCal Connected investigative team regarding their stories on the Los Angeles Housing Authority. Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Press Club in Hollywood. RSVP here.
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.