Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven’s Morning Coffee — a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven’s Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Wednesday, April 18, 2012, and here is what’s happening in Los Angeles:
- Transportation will be the focus of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa‘s annual State of the City address this evening. As a preview, the Los Angeles Times and Daily News take a look at Measure R.
- Fire Chief Brian Cummings told the Los Angeles City Council that there are some parts of the city that will never have a response time under five minutes, reports the Daily News. “If it takes you that long to get to a fire station from your house, that’s how long it will take for us to respond,” he told the council.
- The Coliseum Commission released a draft agreement that would allow USC to control the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, reports the Los Angeles Times. The deal would limit the number of events with 25,000 or more people to 25 per year. The private university would pay the state about $1 million a year in rent. Here is a copy of the lease.
- Steve Soboroff has a lot of typewriters, per the Los Angeles Times.
4 p.m. City workers with SEIU Local 721 will protest the mayor’s State of the City speech. Paramount Studios.
5 p.m. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will give the State of the City address at Paramount Studios.
8:30 a.m. Housing, Community and Economic Development Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Motion on requiring landlords to provide off-line way to pay rent
- Verbal report on the Rent Stabilization Ordinance
- Report on establishing an Economic Development Department
- Report on phasing out gross receipts tax
- Report on city cell phones
- CAO report on ordinance require condom usage in adult film industry
- Report on grants supporting the Los Angeles Clean Cities Coalition
Tweet of the Day goes to Will Wright and some hipster.
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.